Who can apply for a fi-domain name?
Prerequisites for applying for a domain name are met, when the applicant is:
- a person of at least 15 years of age who has a Finnish Personal Identity Number and is domiciled in Finland
- a company, an organization or a private entrepreneur entered in the Finnish Trade Register, the Finnish Register of Associations or the Finnish Register of Foundations
- a Finnish public corporation
- a state-owned company
- an independent public service, public association or an embassy of a foreign state.
- Domain names may be applied for only after the Trade, Association or Foundation registration has been finalised. A pending registration is not sufficient. An applicant who has only a Business ID or is entered only in the tax administration register is not entitled to a domain name.
According to the Act on Domain Names, the applicant is responsible for ensuring that the domain name is not wrongfully based on the registered name or trademark of another party. In the application form, the applicant must certify that the domain name is not a registered name or trademark that belongs to another party.
What are the requirements for a fi-domain name?
- The length can be between 2 and 63 characters.
- The permitted characters are letters from a to ö, the numbers from 0 to 9 and hyphen (-) and the characters in the Lappish spoken in Finland.
- The domain name cannot start or end with a hyphen.
- The third and fourth characters may not both be hyphens.
- A domain name must not be based on another party's protected name or trademark. To check the registers, go to: https://domain.fi/info/index/hakeminen/mitavoihakea/lainkukaisuudenvarmistaminen.html
Name servers transform the domain name into an address. Without the name servers that have been configured for the domain name, the website address of the domain name is not found on the internet and e-mail is not delivered.
If you choose Domaininfo parking nameservers they will be automatically configured to fulfill the demands from Ficora. If you choose to use your own you must first set up a zonefile and then a MX-record in the zonefile.
Each domain name has its own authorization key, or a number, which will be sent to the domain name holder with the domain name decision.
You may authorize us to make changes to your domain name by letting us use your authorization key.
Renewing a fi-domain name
A fi-domain name is valid for one, three or five years. We will renew it for you until you choose to cancel it from your account.
Transfer of .fi domains
In order to transfer your .fi domain between registrars you need your unique “authorization info code”. When you choose to transfer your .fi domain to a registrar you must provide this code to the new registrar.